The Windmill was built in 1875/6 for Mr Samuel Dallaway.
It was constructed by bricklayer Thomas Honeysett, a local craftsman and was equipped with machinery by Millwrights Stephen Neve & Sons from Heathfield.
Although the firm was famous for their Smock Mills, Stone Cross would appear to be the only Tower Mill they fitted out. The ironwork was supplied by the Phoenix Iron Foundry in Lewes and contains some of the finest ironwork in any Windmill in England.
It was originally called Blackness Mill but has also been described as the White Mill.
Samuel’s son, Frederick,
took over the business in 1878
Harry Dallaway, the grandson of Samuel continued the business from 1895.
He was the last Miller,
the Mill ceasing commercial work in the late 1930s.
During the War, the Mill was used by the Army (mainly Canadians) as an observation post: the names of a few of the soldiers stationed here have been discovered on the wall and in the Cap. The Mill was also on the Naval navigation charts for many years.
The Mill was given a Grade II* Listing in 1952. In 1960 The Mill was sold out of the Dallaway family and was bought by a Mr Glessing, who planned to convert it into accommodation. Fortunately, this did not happen and a few years later, the Mill was bought by Mr Ron Hall who intended to restore it. Although he did some work with this intention, the Mill continued to deteriorate.
During 1994 a Trust was formed to restore the Mill, acquiring it at the end of 1995. Charity Status was granted in 1996. Fund raising began and some restoration work was completed by the year 2000 when the Mill produced flour for the first time in over 60 years.
In April 2008, Stone Cross Mill entered into a Twinning Agreement with de Wachter Mill (the Watcher) in the Netherlands.
Stone Cross Mill is a Member of the 1066 Partnership. See visit 1066 Country Website. The Mill is listed under Pevensey attractions.